- 1.2 - 1.4kg old chicken (ayamtelor), one cut into 12 piece
- To taste salt
- 5g black peppercorns, ground
- 10g cumin powder
- 10g fennel powder
- 200ml cooking oil
- 50g dried chili, soaked, boiled and blended
- 150g red onion, peeled and blended
- 150g shallot, peeled and blended
- 50g garlic, peeled and blended
- 100g red chilli, remove seeds and blend
- 5g fresh turmeric, peeled and blended
- 20g lemongrass, cut 3ins and blended
- 1 litre fresh squeeze coconut milk
- rock salt (garamkasar) to taste
- Marinate chicken with salt, black peppercorns, cumin and fennel for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil, deep fry chicken and keep aside.
- Sauté all blended ingredients with the remaining oil until fragrant for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, stir continuously for 5 minutes.
- Then pour in the coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes until chicken is cooked and gravy has thicken.
- Lastly, season with rock salt.