Cheese, Onion And Bacon Flan
1 baked cheese and poppy seed pastry shellFor the filling :
- 1 medium onion,sliced
- 20g butter
- 125g bacon
- 2 eggs
- 150ml milk
- 150ml whipping cream or crème fraiche
- salt, pepper and finely grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 100g gruyere or cheddar cheese, grated
- To make the filling, put a frying pan over a medium heat add the sliced onion and butter and cook gently, stirring occasionally,until the onions is soft.
- Grill the bacon for a few minutes on each side then allow it to cool before cutting it into strips.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and cream together and add some salt,pepper and nutmeg to taste.Stir in the parsley.
- Put the softened onion in the base of the pastry case.
- Top with the grated cheese and bacon,then pour in the egg mixture.
- Carefully slide the flan into the oven so that filling doesn’t spill out and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are set and the surface of the flan is golden brown.