CHEESE AND HERB CROISANT
- 750ml cake flour
- 25ml baking powder
- 50g butter, cubed
- 500ml coarsely grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 60ml finely chopped fresh parsley
- 10ml chopped fresh origanum
- 10ml chopped fresh thyme
- 10ml chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 extra-large egg
- 180ml buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten, for glazing
- Sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese and herbs.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg, buttermilk and 60ml water, then stir this into the dry ingredients. Mix until a soft dough is formed. Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a round, 26cm in diameter. Cut each round into eight wedges, resembling pizza slices. Roll up each wedge, starting at the rounded edge and ending with the point. Turn in the edges to form a crescent. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place the croissants on a greased baking sheet and brush with the egg glaze. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the croissants are golden brown.