Black Pepper Steak
Black Pepper Steak:
- 450 g (1lb) lean steak, sliced thinly, against the grain (I used sirloin)
- 2 tbsp cornflour cornstarch
- 1.5 tsp crushed black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 medium sized brown onions peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 2 green bell peppers deseeded and chopped into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or Dry Sherry
- 2 tbsp Premium Oyster Sauce
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- Toss the steak slices with the cornflour, 1 tsp of black pepper and the salt. Heat the 3tbsp vegetable oil and the sesame oil in a wok until hot, then fry the steak until dark and crisp (you may have to do this in two batches). Don’t stir the steak too much, or it won’t crisp up. Spoon out the steak and place on a paper towel to remove any excess fat.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the wok and add in the onions and peppers. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften. Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, then add in the soy sauce, sherry, oyster sauce and remaining black pepper and stir.
- Whilst the oyster sauce and veg are heating through.
- Add the steak back to the wok with the peppers and onions and heat through.
- serve with hot rice or any Vermicelli rice noodles