AUTHENTIC KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN
- 1.4 kg chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp rice wine
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup potato starch or corn starch
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- Some cooking oil for deep frying (I used rice bran oil)
- 3 Tbsp tomato sauce / ketchup
- 2 tbsp chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste), add 1/2 Tbsp more to make it spicier
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onion finely chopped or thinly shredded
- In a bowl, place the chicken, rice wine, ginger, salt and black pepper. Combine them well. Then evenly coat the chicken with the starch and set side. (To get the effect like the picture, dip the individual chicken pieces into the bowl of starch, roll the chicken around a bit then take them out and set aside.)
- In a deep saucepan (or frier) add a generous amount of oil and heat it until the oil temperature reaches 175 C / 347 F (or boiling). Start adding the battered chicken carefully and fry them until they cook (between 3 to 5 mins, depending on the size of chicken). Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Take out the done chicken and place them onto some kitchen paper while frying the remaining chicken pieces. Once the first set of deep frying is completed, quickly scoop out any floating debris from the oil using a skimmer. Then deep fry the chicken again when the oil temperature reaches 175 C / 347 F (or boiling). Fry them until the batter is golden and crisp. (The second time frying is shorter than the first time, 2 to 3 mins) Set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, add in the Korean fried chicken sauce ingredients (listed above). Heat the sauce over low medium heat and stir well. Once it starts bubbling, remove the pan from the heat.
- Place double fried chicken into a large mixing bowl then pour the fried chicken sauce over the chicken to coat. Mix them lightly and thoroughly. Alternatively, serve the fried chicken and the sauce separately and use the sauce as a dipping sauce.