Apple Buttermilk Custard Pie
for the PIE Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), cubed
- 1/2 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 5 cups (about 2 lbs) apples, peeled and sliced (Granny Smith work well)
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small cubes
Make the Crust dough ;
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar and salt in large bowl or food processor. Add butter. Process 15 seconds or mix with pastry cutter until mixture begins to clump and flour is coated.Stir in remaining 1 cup of flour until incorporated and dough appears crumbly. Sprinkle with ice water.
- Fold dough with a rubber spatula until sticky. Divide dough in half. Flatten each half to 4-inch diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and seal in freezer-proof container. if you keep on the freezer for the next day, Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using as usual.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch circle and line a 9-inch deep dish pie pan. Fold under edges and use your fingers to flute them. Place in refrigerator until ready to fill.
Meanwhile, make the topping:
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add apples, 1/4 cup of the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook until apples are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar, flour, salt, and eggs, followed by the buttermilk and vanilla. Pour over apple mixture.
- Bake pie for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut butter in with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly but combined.
- After 30 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 300°F. Sprinkle streusel topping over the top of the pie and continue baking until set, about 40 minutes. Let cool 1 hour before slicing and serving. Enjoy!