All Star Bbq Burger
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 4 slices chipotle Cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 recipe Fried Red Onion Strips (Recipe follows.)
- Fried Red Onion Strips 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- Preheat grill to Medium (350 degrees F to 400 degrees F).
- In a large bowl, combine ketchup, molasses, honey, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add ground sirloin and mix until meat has absorbed all the liquid. Divide meat into 4 patties and refrigerate until 5 minutes before grilling. (Do not prepare meat more than 1 hour ahead; salt will pull out juices.)
- Grill over medium-high heat for approximately 10 to 15 minutes per side, or until desired degree of doneness.*
- Transfer burgers to cool side of grill (or an upper shelf) and top each with a slice of cheese. Turn grill off, close lid, and let burgers rest for 4 minutes.
- Heat buns briefly, if desired. To assemble, place burger on bun (cheese-side up), top with fried onion strips, and place bun top on burger. Serve immediately.
- Fried Red Onion Strips: In a heavy medium saucepan, heat oil to 350 degrees F over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add onions; gently boil, stirring frequently with a fork, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.