40 Clove of Garlic ROASTED CHICKEN
- 1.8 kgwhole chicken
- 8thyme sprigs
- 4flat-leaf parsley stalks
- 60 ml(¼ cup) olive oil
- 1leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 5garlic bulbs, 2 bulbs halved widthwise, 3 bulbs cloves separated, unpeeled
- 125 ml(½ cup) dry white wine
- 1 cup of butter (unsalted)
- Pat chicken skin and cavity dry with paper towel, then season with salt and pepper. Place 4 thyme sprigs and 4 parsley stalks in the cavity, insert the butter in between the skins and in the cavity then tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Heat oil in a large, deep ovenproof and flameproof pan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, then add chicken and cook, turning frequently, for 10 minutes or until dark golden all over. Transfer chicken to a large plate and set aside.
- Add leek, halved garlic bulbs and garlic cloves to pan, increase heat to high and cook for 3 minutes or until garlic cloves are golden. Return chicken to pan with any juices. Pour wine around chicken and scatter with remaining thyme sprigs. Cover tightly with lid or foil and transfer to oven. Bake for 1Â½ hours or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced. Transfer chicken to a large plate and keep warm. Return pan to oven and cook uncovered for a further 20 minutes or until garlic is soft and caramelised.