BULGOGI RICE BOWL
- 1 pound thinly sliced beef rib eye or top sirloin*
- 2 scallions cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small onion thinly sliced
- 4 servings of cooked rice**
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or mirin
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons grated Asian pear optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 - 1 cup beef broth or simply use water
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon sugar
- mushroom sliced
- carrot sliced
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- If using packaged pre-sliced meat, separate the slices. Add the meat, onion, and scallions to the marinade. Toss gently, with hands, to mix everything well. Marinate for 30 minutes to an hour in the fridge. I choose to marinate 24 hours.
- Making your Bulgogi rice bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add the meat along with any remaining marinade. (Do this in two batches as to avoid crowding the skillet.) Cook the meat for about a minute. Then, add the optional vegetables and a desired amount of the extra sauce. Stir-fry for an additional 2 - 3 minutes until the meat and vegetables are cooked. Serve over rice.