- 1 foie gras, whole
- Slices of toasted bread
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or maple syrup or honey)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Porto (or muscat or any sweet alcohol)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- Basil leaves, roughly minced
- Separate the 2 lobes of the foie gras.
- Cut each lobe in 1-inch thick slices (2.5 cm).
- Add salt.
- In a very hot pan, sear the slices of foie gras for few minutes on each side until golden brown (don’t add any fat).
- Remove the fat surplus from the pan, as it appears.
- Finish cooking the browned slices in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes at 400F (200C). Keep warm.
- In a pan, cook the onions in the olive oil.
- Add the sugar, red wine vinegar, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.
- Deglaze with the Porto, and add the basil.
- Remove the foie gras from the oven. Pour the liquid fat into the pan.
- Do not mix.
Place the slices of foie gras on a piece of toast and cover with berry sauce.