Salt And Pepper Squid
2 squid tubes cleaned
3 tablespoons corn flour
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
vegetable oil for frying
- Lay the squid tubes flat on your chopping board and place a long knife inside the tube.
- Pull the knife either to the right or left and cut the tube open on one side.
- Unfold the tube flat, leaving what was the inside pointing up.
- Remove any excess membrane left inside with a sharp knife.
- Rinse it under cold water and pat dry with some paper towel.
- Again lay the squid inside up on your board.
- With a very sharp knife cut the squid in half along what was the opposite edge.
- Now we’ll do the criss cross cutting.
- On each of these 2 halves make an incision across the centre from corner to corner, (cut as deep as you can without cutting right through).
- Now make incisions parallel to that incision about 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) apart.
- Then repeat this procedure along the other angle from the other corner to corner.
- Then cut each tube half into 3 pieces.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Toss the squid 1 at a time in the flour mix and set aside.
- Place a heavy based non stick pan on high heat and add oil to just under ½ cm (1/4 inch).
- Once the oil is hot, fry the squid pieces about 30 seconds per side, the squid should curl up nicely.