Open Face Salmon Sandwich With Sweet Mustard Sauce
For the sweet mustard sauce:
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
For the sandwich:
Four 4-ounce salmon fillets, about 1 inch thick, skin removed if desired
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons Sweet Mustard Sauce, (see above)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tomato cut into four 1/2 -inch slices
1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
8 slices dark rye or multi-grain bread
Mixed leafy greens
1 avocado halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 teaspoons capers, drained
- To make the Sweet Mustard sauce, whisk together the mustard and honey in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking continuously. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- To hard boil the egg, put the egg in a small pot and fill with water to cover the egg by 1-inch. Bring the water to boil and immediately turn the heat off. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for exactly 7 minutes. Drain, rinse under cool water and peel when cool enough to handle. Cut the egg into quarters, lengthwise.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Brush salmon fillets with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and grill for 2 minutes on each side.
- Wipe the grill pan clean, brush the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on the bread and grill the bread for 30 seconds each side, until nicely toasted (or use a toaster)
- To assemble sandwiches, first cut each piece of salmon into 2 pieces. Layering leafy greens, tomato, avocado, egg, red onion, grilled salmon and capers on each bread slice. Spoon the sweet mustard sauce on top and serve, opened faced.