Madeleines with lemon curd
For the madeleines
- 3free-range eggs
- 130 gsugar
- 200 gplain flour
- 10 gbaking powder
- 1unwaxed lemon, finely grated zest only
- 20 ghoney
- 4 tbspmilk
- 200 gbutter, melted and cooled
- punnet of raspberries
- icing sugar, for dusting
For the lemon curd
- 1unwaxed lemon, finely grated zest and juice only
- pinch of salt
- 40 gsugar
- 45 gbutter
- 2free-range egg yolks
- Resting time 2 hours to overnight
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until pale and frothy. Put the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl and add the lemon zest.
- Mix the honey and milk with the cooled butter, then add to the eggs. In two batches, fold in the flour. Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon curd. Put the lemon zest and juice, salt, sugar and butter into a small saucepan and heat gently until the sugar and butter have melted. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl, then add to the pan and whisk vigorously. Return the pan to a low heat and whisk constantly as the curd starts to thicken. Donâ€™t stop whisking or the eggs will curdle (if the curd starts to boil, take off the heat). Once the curd thickens and releases a bubble or two, remove from the heat and pass the curd through a sieve into a bowl. Place cling film in direct contact with the curd and refrigerate for at least an hour, preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 190Â°C/375Â°F/Gas 5. Butter and flour a 12-shell madeleine tin. Put the lemon curd into a piping bag fitted with a small, pointed nozzle and place in the fridge.
- Put a heaped tablespoon of batter into each madeleine shell and press a raspberry deep into the batter.
- Bake for five minutes and turn the oven off for one minute (the madeleines will get their signature peaks), then turn the oven on to 160Â°C/325Â°F/Gas 3 and bake for a further five minutes. Transfer the madeleines to a wire rack and leave for a few minutes until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, wash and dry the tin, then repeat the baking as for the first batch.
- While the second batch is baking, pop the piping nozzle into the mound in each baked madeleine and squirt in a teaspoonâ€™s worth of lemon curd. Repeat with the second batch, then dust with icing sugar and serve straightaway.