How to make Mayonnaise
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
40ml white wine vinegar
200ml olive oil
150ml vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of sugar
2-3 drops lemon juice
- First make sure all your ingredients and equipment are at room temperature then combine the egg yolks, Dijon mustard and vinegar in a basin.
- Using a wire ballon whisk, mix them together for about a minute, until the mixture is thick and completely smooth. (alternatively you can make mayonnaise in a food processor, following these same step, but the result will not be as thick).
- Mix the olive oil and vegetable oil together in ajug and add them to the egg mixture in a slow steady stream whisking continuously as you do so.
- If you find the mayonnaise becomes too thick as you are whisking in the oil, stop and add a teaspoon of warm water to thin it out, then continue adding oil. Stop whisking in the oil when you achieve the consistency you prefer.
- Season the mayonnaise with a little salt, a pinch of sugar and a twist of freshly milled black pepper. Add a couple of drops of lemon juice to taste and mix well.
- Use as needed and store any leftover mayonnaise, covered with cling film in the fridge, where it will last for 3-4 days.