FRESH PASTA WITH A VODKA CREAM SAUCE
- 1 batch fresh pasta
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes , drained, liquid reserved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small onion , minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Table salt
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Puree half of tomatoes in food processor until smooth. Dice remaining tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces, discarding cores. Combine pureed and diced tomatoes in liquid measuring cup (you should have about 1 2/3 cups). Add reserved liquid to equal 2 cups.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are light golden around edges, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Remove pan from heat and add vodka. Return pan to medium-high heat and simmer briskly until alcohol flavor is cooked off, 8 to 10 minutes; stir frequently and lower heat to medium if simmering becomes too vigorous. Stir in cream and cook until hot, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta. Cook until just shy of al dente, then drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water, and transfer pasta back to Dutch oven. Add sauce to pasta and toss over medium heat until pasta absorbs some of sauce, 1 to 2 minutes, adding reserved cooking water if sauce is too thick. Stir in basil and adjust seasoning with salt. Divide among pasta bowls and serve immediately, passing Parmesan separately.