French In A Flash: Bouillabaisse Pasta
1 pound tagliatelle
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large shallot, finely diced
1/2 small fennel, thinly sliced
1 15-ounce can of cherry tomatoes, drained (substitute with 1 can petite-diced tomatoes, drained)
3/4 pound grams Poularde clams, or other small clams
1 pound mussels
2/3 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 ounces crab meat
3/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup fish stock
2 pinches (0.3 grams) saffron threads
1 tablespoon butter, cold
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water just until al dente. It will cook more in the bouillabaisse broth, so you want to be sure not to overcook it. Drain..
- While the pasta cooks, make the bouillabaisse sauce. In a high-sided sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots, and fennel, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Season with salt and pepper, and sweat for 7 minutes until the vegetables are translucent, but uncolored..
- Add the drained cherry tomatoes and the wine. Raise the heat to medium, and simmer the wine until it reduces slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes. .
- Add the fish stock and the saffron threads. Bring to a simmer. Then add the clams, mussels, and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and allow to steam until the clams and mussels open—about 5 minutes..
- Shake the cold butter into the hot sauce. Add in the drained pasta. Raise the heat to medium-high, and cook so that the pasta absorbs some of the broth, and finishes cooking–about 2 minutes. Serve immediately..