This traditional Croque Monsieur recipe is the closest version of the original sandwich served in Parisian cafes in the early 1900’s.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 4 ounces baked ham, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat the broiler to the lowest heat setting. Evenly divide and spread the mustard on 4 slices of bread. Place a few slices of ham, followed by 1/2 cup Gruyere, on the mustard-side of the bread. Cover the cheese with the remaining slices of bread and spread the butter on the outside surfaces of the sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches on an ungreased baking sheet and broil for about 5 minutes, turn them over, cover with the remaining cheese, and continue cooking until they are crispy and golden brown, about 5 additional minutes.
This recipe makes 4 sandwiches.