Beef Tenderloin With Pizzaiola Sauce
Juicy Beef Tenderloin with Pizzaiola Sauce. From the succulent meat to the intensely flavored sauce, your efforts will create a memorable impact. Round out this Italian-inspired meal with an assortment of antipasti, a fresh green salad and a side of pasta.
1 cup dry white wine
4 teaspoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
Minced 2 teaspoons fresh basil
Chopped 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
Chopped 1 bay leaf one pepperoncini pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
1 yellow onion,
Diced 2 garlic cloves,
Minced 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
4 lean beef tenderloin steaks (5 – 6 ounces each)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil, plus more as needed
1 1/2 cups white, oyster
Porcino mushrooms, sliced
- For the sauce, simmer the wine in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced by half, 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the herbs and pepperoncini. Set aside to steep for 30 minutes before preparing the rest of the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring often, until light golden, about 5 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Remove the bay leaf from the wine mixture and discard it. Add the wine mixture to the pan with the tomatoes and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Blot the beef dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy sauté pan over high heat. Add the beef and sauté to the desired doneness, 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a warmed platter and cover to keep warm while completing the sauce.
- Return the sauté pan to medium-high heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the mushrooms and sauté until browned and any juices they have released cook away, about 4 minutes. Add the pizzaiola sauce and any juices released by the steaks. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce develops a good flavor and consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve the steaks at once with the sauce.